Obama Lifts the Travel Ban on HIV/AID Patients???

10/30/2009 11:59:00 AMBriana Latrise

How about I didn't even know that was in effect. I guess it's been 22 years. Here read this and then we can share opinions:

"WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama said Friday the United States would end a two-decade travel ban on HIV-positive visitors from abroad, hailing the move as a step toward lifting the stigma of the disease.

"Twenty-two years ago, in a decision rooted in fear rather than fact, the United States instituted a travel ban on entry into the country for people living with HIV/AIDS," Obama said as he signed a bill reauthorizing funding for a federal program providing HIV-related health care.

"Now, we talk about reducing the stigma of this disease -- yet we've treated a visitor living with it as a threat.

"We lead the world when it comes to helping stem the AIDS pandemic -- yet we are one of only a dozen countries that still bar people with HIV from entering our own country," Obama said.

"If we want to be the global leader in combating HIV/AIDS, we need to act like it. And that's why on Monday, my administration will publish a final rule that eliminates the travel ban effective just after the New Year."
Obama said that ending the HIV/AIDS travel ban would help to remove the stigma associated with the disease which, in turn, would help to staunch the spread of HIV/AIDS.

"It will take an effort to end the stigma that has stopped people from getting tested, that has stopped people from facing their own illness and that has sped the spread of this disease for far too long," Obama said at the signing ceremony of the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Extension Act.
The bill which was first passed 19 years ago is named after a 13-year-old boy who contracted HIV during a blood transfusion.
Obama's predecessor, George W. Bush, signed legislation last year which removed HIV from a list of diseases "of public health significance" that effectively barred any person infected with the virus that causes AIDS from entering the United States.
But the law was not implemented by the US Department of Health and Human Services, which regulates US immigration authorities in some instances.

The ban on HIV-positive foreigners entering the United States had been in place since 1987 -- three years before Ryan White died and the law that now bears his name was first passed.
Copyright © 2009 AFP. All rights reserved.
SOURCE


Ok, this is just MY OPINION...

He says we treated the HIV positive visitor like a "threat"... I believe they could be a threat. I mean c'mon now. I understand what he's trying to do but I don't know that I like it just yet. I can't see people just openly admitting they have the disease just because this country suddenly says "Hey, Come on over! We don't care that you're infected!" Maybe I've just dealt with ALL THE WRONG people in my life, but I KNOW people infected who are already citizens of this country and they sleep with people all the time without admitting they are infected. I just don't trust people anymore! Seriously. Let us all pray that this doesn't open a flood gate. Seriously. Are start a new epidemic. We all already know that black people are the first to go. In scary movies, in robberies, in damn near everything. And our women, excuse me, black women seem to be the most effected by this disease... like cycle cell dammit. So... let us just pray. In Jesus name. Seriously.


I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but may very well be the most skeptical. And I may not be the best Christian but I believe prayer works. So let us...

I want to hear how you all feel about this issue.

BTW... I do not intent or ever want people infected to feel like outcasts... I'd rather them be open about it. It's f*ed up all the way around but I don't think I want to lift the ban yet. There are other issues that we should be working on. Like, where my acres and my mule? I need a mule. i can do big things with a mule!

You Might Also Like

5 Haterismz & Comments here

  1. x_x...

    did Obama just say he wants to let Aids\Hiv Infected People into the US...
    legally?...
    and the people have no choice?...
    (reminds you of that society you NEED to make on some island cuz America is about to get worse[i didnt think it could smh])

    it may be because Obama has family who are infected n needs a way to get them here...

    and you should never trust people....
    No1 can be trusted...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touché... Seriously... I'm working on that island Hun.


    Oh and BTW... don't let little people bother you. I saw those tweets but I ignored them. People are crazy annoying these days. It's all good though Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No ONE FREAKIN CARES OR HAS OPINIONS ON THIS ISSUE!!!?????? WTF?????????

    ReplyDelete
  4. No ONE FREAKIN CARES OR HAS OPINIONS ON THIS ISSUE!!!?????? WTF?????????

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think leting ppl travel here who are infected is kinda scary.
    But if i were the one living with the disease, id want the same rights eveyone else has. You cant stop everyone living with HIV from traveling becuz of the fear some of them may have unprotected sex.
    You cant herd ppl together and isolate them in the hopes that they'll die out before spreading it.

    But at the same time, controling the disease is important. Unfortunaly u cant isolate the disease without isolating the person who has it.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Would you rather read my vents or watch them?

Contact Form